Lurdes Belgas1, Jorge M. Mascarenhas1, Jorge M. Mascarenhas2
Polytechnic Institute of Tomar
Campus da Quinta do Contador, 2300-454 Tomar, Portugal
Campus da Unilúrio, Pemba, Moçambique
e-mail: fernando.branco @unilurio.ac.mz, web: http://www.unilurio.ac.mz/unilurio
The use of reinforced concrete in construction is recent, starting by the end of the nineteenth century. Since the 30s of last century, the use of reinforced concrete in buildings and infrastructures became more popular and widespread.
In Portugal a lot of old buildings with reinforced concrete structure, built between the early 50s and late 70s of XX century, still exist.
These buildings, designed not according to 1983 regulation documents (Safety Regulations and Actions for Building and Bridges Structures) may have serious structural and foundation deficiencies, which may severely impair their ability to withstand intense earthquake.
Even in cases where the integrity of a structure of reinforced concrete is not jeopardized by poor performance, it is often necessary to adapt these older buildings to new uses or new performance requirements.
The present case study concerns an old reinforced concrete building, whose design dates from 1956. This is a building with an area of (38 ´ 10) m 2, consisting of 7 floors, and containing a lower partially buried floor. At present the building is being subjected to an intervention for structural reinforcement and functional requalification to adapt to new use.
This article describes the main pathologies observed in the building before the intervention carried out and some of the rehabilitation works performed.